Custom Search

Friday, August 3, 2018

Second Hand Shopping in Paris

We did not try to check out the second hand market in Paris. In fact, other than groceries, we barely shop at all. The only reason I bought my tencel dresses is that we are at Monoprix, where Tom can look at the cheese and other goodies, while I can look at the clothes, play with the makeup, etc.

We were walking down a street in our favored neighborhood. I showed Emma the hotel we always passed and said "Look at the bird wallpaper." Really pretty. I then mentioned that three years ago, the hotel had had a vide-grenier in a small courtyard down the street.

We continued walking and happened upon their vide-grenier (empty-attic)! What a coincidence. They had various hotel fixtures, clothe, books--all sorts of stuff. i resisted, but Emma pulled out a Georges Rech linen twin set and bought it for 5 euros.

On another walk, we all happened upon an enormous street vide-grenier--stretching as far as the eyes could see. There was SO MUCH STUFF. A lot was nice too--not the usual junk one sees in thrift shops in my humble town. The sellers were a mix of people selling off their own stuff and professionals. Emma bought a Max Mara navy silk slip dress with a sheer overtop. That was 6 euros.

I saw a lot of Hermes ties. They were pristine and the standard price was 25 euros. I had a few Hermes ties back in the day and ended up selling them in a futile effort at decluttering. Now I know where to get more if I get the desire to provide the men in my family with ties. Imagine how many Hermes ties exist in Paris!

I just remembered another accidental second-hand encounter: at a St Vincent de Paul hospital compound now being used as a center for immigrants. Sam had been there a few years before and said that it had been a squatter abode; he saw it in early stages of renovation.  The Center had a thrift store and I ALMOST bought a long faux sheepskin vest for 3 euros. I resisted. Next year, I will return and see if I can help these people with their good work: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B4pital_Saint-Vincent-de-Paul




No comments: