Custom Search

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

FOMO NOMO?

FOMO: fear of missing out

A fairly new acronym for me. It was used quite often in the recent mania regarding the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. I read all the blog posts. I even bought something: a set of underwear for Frugal Son.

I get excited by sales as much as the next person. Probably more. I was raised by two sale-addicted parents. I am, in fact, writing this while taking a break from my on-going and inefficient efforts to declutter.

BUT--back to FOMO. As a little experiment, I put some of the most-touted items from the Anniversary Sale on my Nordstrom Wishlist. Guess what?

Though most of the items sold out, many have now reappeared...at even lower prices. The two Brahmin bags, the two Longchamp bags, various sweaters: all are now 50% off. One sweater I coveted is 65% off.

They are, of course, selling out even as I type. Still, seeing that Wishlist helped me a lot. I can wait till next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is very interesting! Especially since the whole selling point used for the Anniversary Sale is that the prices will go up, not down, after the sale.

I didn't shop the sale this year. I am experimenting with ignoring sales. Instead, I'm taking my time and planning my purchases more deliberately, even if it means paying full price. So far, I'm saving money because I'm hardly buying anything. But it might get expensive when the weather gets cold and I need to replace some old sweaters. It will be interesting to see if it all balances out and how I will feel about my wardrobe when the next Anniversary Sale rolls around.

Frugal Scholar said...

@ Bettina--Well, I have enough sweaters to see me through for a LONG time. I would love to hear a report about how your process works.