Anyone with any expertise: I would appreciate advice. I tend to be a suspicious person. Still, one investment trade every two days. My mother mentioned that his trading "went down" this year.
Thanks for any help!
My initial questions:
1. What specifically are xxx 's holdings? For instance, there is a category TIAACREF--what are the specific holdings under that rubric?
1) TIAA Cref account is a moderate aggressive allocation which is composed of equities diversified across and within asset classes .
Also diversified across sectors and industries . Many of the holdings have dividends of 2-5 percent to add to the total return. The account
typically has 50k-150K set aside in order to buy stocks when the market drops abruptly while hedging the portfolio .
Not very specific imo
2. What isxxx's asset allocation?
The overall asset allocation is a moderate allocation. Typically 20- 35 percent in cash . With the remaining portion in equities and
closed end bond funds. The equity trading takes place in the IRA accounts for tax efficiency. The Taxable accounts are passively
managed to avoid short term capital gains. Of the 65-75 percent invested in equities there is about 10-20 percent Fixed income or
stocks with high yields.
3. For stock holdings: what percentage is in mutual funds and what percentage is in individual stocks?
4. What percentage of xxx's assets is in IRAs and similar pretax vehicles? What percentage is in post-tax?
5. What kind of turnover does her portfolio have? How many sells/buys have been engaged in? What are her total transaction/investment expenses for 2014? 2013? 2012?
2014 there were about 188 trades which was less than xx percent of the total portfolio or approx. 9,500.
This seems INSANE TO ME. Does this amount of trading constitute CHURNING?
6. What is her total return for 2014? 2013? 2012?
2012 net return 12 percent. ( This includes xxxwithdrawn)
2013 net return 14 percent ( This includes xxxx withdrawn)
2014 net return 6 percent ( This includes xxx