Custom Search

Thursday, February 27, 2020

Ironic "old lady" or "rich lady" fashion: use what you have

When I started this blog many years ago, I was passionate about sharing my tips for frugality.  My motivation came, in part, from R, friend of both son and daughter. Well! R is now a psychiatrist (I helped him with his med school essay) stationed abroad.

I loved reading other frugality/personal finance blogs. These have generally disappeared or morphed into commercial sites hawking credit cards and other unsavory products.

As has been usual in my life, I got off track and began sampling middle-aged woman sites and got especially sidetracked by ones exploring style for that age group. Of course, most of those have gone the way of the frugality blogs.

And the OTHER blogs that attracted my attention were the decluttering sites. Because...I have a problem. Thrift stores both giveth (to frugality/keeping spending under control) and taketh away (as even a few extra purchases a month  at $3 can add to the clutter in no time flat).

I have been going through my closets, amazed at all the nice things I have. Thanks be  to thrift store gods. In that process, I find a number of unworn items: these are my "old lady"/"rich lady" things.

I keep meaning to wear them, thinking they are "ironic" or will appear to be so. Then it occurred to me that at 66, I have probably passed the age of irony in that department.

And, of course, it is NOT frugal not to  use things. So herewith I vow to wear the following (most not from thrift stores btw).

--the Burberry raincoat, worn ONCE. This was bought by my parents on a trip to London in the  late 70s?/early 80s? when the pound was par with the dollar. My mother outgrew it.  Wore once to a funeral of a person who was not very nice to me. My DH wore the matching one my father outgrew. We got many compliments.

--the authentic LV mono bag (style is Looping, no longer made) This was a gift from my sister-in-law to my mother. My mother placed it in her Goodwill donation bag upon receipt. I happened to see it. I retrieved it. Worn never.

--the vintage Gucci bag I got at a thrift store. This has the disintegrating lining characteristic of the real thing. Has the GG monograms and the stripe. Worn once when I had to go into a snooty store for some reason.

--the alligator bag that belonged to my grandmother. I need to get the handle reattached. My grandmother was very chic but unable to really live her aesthetic because she lost most of her money fleeing Europe in 1938. She worked at a fancy store in Boston. The bag has a label from another fancy Boston store. Worn never.

--the LV mono card case also from my grandmother--see above. Used never. (I believe with Marcel Proust that objects retain something of the person who owned them, so I can never relinquish these items. They give me pleasure just to behold them and touch them.)

--Bally croc patterned bucket bag from thrift.  Used never.

--Gucci loafers from thrift store. A bit big. Want to get inserts. Otherwise, must say good-bye.

Use what you have!








8 comments:

tess said...

Love this post!

I find I can not (easily or at all) rewear clothes I've worn to a funeral, they become imbued with sadness and memories of that day.

A coworker once told me she doesn't need to go shopping, she has enough clothes
for 3 lifetimes in her basement. I thought lucky her, she has a dry basement.

Most of mine are in my bedroom, so thickly packed it is hard to find any particular item, so I find myself wearing what is newly washed (from the top of a pile).

I would like to have the time to sort things out that I have "outgrown" and have a holding place for when I can slim down enough, sigh.

Mary Kent said...


HERPES CURE IS REAL:

Indeed Doctor Disu has a cure for Herpes Virus,
I was once victim of the herpes virus with many epidemics on my body, I was cured of the virus thanks to the help of Doctor Disu herbal medicine. I have met most of his patient testimonials on blogs and social media pages, cured of various illnesses. I contacted him with his email address to which he replied and asked me a few questions and the preparation method for which I paid, he sent me herbal medicines and with his prescription I drank herbal medicine for 21 days and the epidemics on my body were healed after concluding herbal medicine, I went for the test and my result was negative with no trace of virus in my blood. You can also be cured, contact him on his official email; africanherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2348167485904.

He said he had an herbal remedy for
Yeast infection, cancer, PENIS ENLARGMENT,
HIV, heart disease and Candida and many more.
website: https://drdisuafricanherbalcure.weebly.com

monika love said...

I has suffered for Human papillomavirus HPV) for 2years, I was given some tablets at the hospital but I refused to take it, They said I have to be on it for life so I don't want take a drugs everyday for life. No point in taking medicine everyday when u won't get cure from it and I was advice to seek for natural herbal cure, after some time I found dr onokun is the most trustful herbalist that have herbs to cure wicked symptom's,I emailed dr onokun, for 2weeks been his patient he cured my (HPV) with his herbal. I only used his natural herbs for two weeks it was 100% cure. I'm not (HPV) patient anymore. I'm happy about it i finally got cured out of this mess been in my body for 2years. I also recommend you if you're living with (HPV) or herpes symptoms i also want you to be free contact dr onokun with the email attach to my post. Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com or website: www.dronokunherbalcure.wordpress.com

Bryan Foster said...


HERPES CURE IS REAL:

Indeed Doctor Oduku Paul has a cure for Herpes Virus
I was once victim of the herpes virus with many epidemics on my body, I was cured of the virus thanks to the help of Doctor Oduku Paul herbal medicine. I have met most of his patient testimonials on blogs and social media pages, cured of various illnesses.

I contacted him with his email address to which he replied and asked me a few questions and the preparation method for which I paid, he sent me herbal medicines and with his prescription I drank herbal medicine for 21 days and the epidemics on my body were healed after concluding herbal medicine,

I went for the test and my result was negative with no trace of virus in my blood. You can also be cured, contact him on his official email; odukuherbalremedies@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349064430408.


He said he had an herbal remedy for
Diabetes, cancer, fibroid, hyperglycemia, hepatitis,
HIV, heart disease and liver disease

Unknown said...

I contacted herpes' I was told there is no herpes cure except treatment to
control it. I totally lost hope. All I could think was losing my life it
was so embarrassing to have this virus, few weeks ago I ready about a
possible natural herbs cure which was guaranteed. And I ordered the natural
herbs treatment from Dr voodoo after some weeks I got 100? cure. Now I'm so
excited to share this testimony contact Dr voodoo WhatsApp number
+2348140120719 also e-mail him at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

lagatta à montréal said...

I loved Frugal Scholar's blog. Too bad it got inundated by pseudo-medicsl scams.

Unknown said...

I am glad to come across your website. You are doing great job. Keep updating! Get Your Authentic & Fake ID Cards ,I will also take the advantage to ask for your permission to join our TELEGRAM GROUP

lagatta à montréal said...

So happy to find you again, Frugal. Please dont feel guilty if there are some thrifted things you never wear or use, whether books or clothes.