Custom Search

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Cream of Barley Soup: Pantry Dinner

I mentioned this soup in a comment about two years ago. I can't believe I've never posted the recipe. Since we work lonnnngggg days on Mondays and Wednesdays, I like to have dinner all made when we get home. So on Sundays, I generally plan out my meals. I always like to make do with what I have, especially since I want to (maybe) buy myself a birthday handbag 18 months early. Pantry cooking obviously requires no outlay of cash.

Cream of Barley Soup with Mushrooms (copied from a defunct blog--so already simplified from the source: Deborah Madison's book of soups)

Cover 1/3 cup of hulled barley with water - set aside. Heat a pot with 2T olive oil and 1 T butter. Add 2 large chopped shallots* and 1/4 tsp dried oregano and saute for about 5 minutes. Add 2 grated* carrots, 2 minced cloves of garlic and 1 chopped leek*, saute for 10 more minutes. Drain the barley and add to the pot with 6 cups of water and 1.5 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile simmer 1/3 cup barley in salted water for 30 minutes.

While barley in the soup pot is cooked - puree with 1 cup of sour cream*. Return to pot - salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked barley. Top with pan fried sliced mushrooms and serve with bread.


*I subbed my frozen caramelized onions for the shallots and leeks. I chopped the carrots. I cooked the soaked barley with everything.

Sadly, I am out of sour cream, so I'm subbing some half and half that's on its way to oblivion.

Barley keeps growing! Every time you re-heat, you have to add water. I think this is one of those immortal soups. I thought this would make two dinners, but I think it will make three.




4 comments:

Shelley said...

Oh my, a soup that keeps on growing! Sounds like frugal magic, doesn't it? I'm afraid we're turning from salad lunch weather to soup lunch weather here, though yesterday was brilliant. I have a garden full of lettuce to use up, though! Am tempted to try lettuce pesto or lettuce and fruit smoothies.

I have a small stash of barley in the cupboard, but I don't know what kind it is - there are different kinds, right? Something like pearl and pot barley? Must go do some research. Will definitely try this soup recipe.

Patience_Crabstick said...

I love mushroom barley soup. I used to make it all the time back when we had a more urgent need to be frugal. Thanks for the reminder.

Andrea@Familyconnect said...

Ha! A soup that goes on growing - what a perfect description!

Frugal Scholar said...

@Andrea--thanks for commenting. I've been reading your blog and love it.