Custom Search

Saturday, December 10, 2016

A dream

please note: this is now a space for my writing. older posts on frugality remain for those interested.



A dream from a few weeks ago:

I was sitting with my grandparents Emma and Leo. We were cuddled together watching a video. The video was one that was recently sent to me by Evan, the son of my mother's late first cousin Herbert.  Herbert's parents had made a movie of their doted-on son--then named Heinz--in Vienna 1937. I hardly know Evan, but we saw him in Seattle last spring and he promised to make a copy of the video for me.

The video shows mostly Herbert at age 3--in the park, on the city streets. Near the end are a few glimpses of his older cousin, my beautiful mother at age 7. There are even a few glimpses of Leo, easy to spot with his round, completely bald head.

My grandparents and I were waiting for the parts with my mother. We were joined by a blog-friend, whom I've met. I said to her,  "Wait; I want to show you my mother."

My grandfather turned to me and spoke for quite a while. It was all in German. I was trying to figure out if I could understand any of it.

********************************************************************************

It has occurred to me that my grandfather never really knew English very well. The only thing I remember his saying to me is "I just want to live long enough to see you get married." That didn't happen. I was so happy to see my grandparents in the dream.

2 comments:

The Vivenne Files said...

I'm so happy that you remembered your dream, and that you feel pleasure from the memory. Dreams are important, and we don't pay nearly enough attention to them!
hugs,
Janice

efields1010 said...

Frugal, I've always loved your writing and I miss your posts. Thank you for sharing these stories with us.