Custom Search

Friday, February 5, 2010

Black and Gold Karma

I assume that even the unsporty folks know that the New Orleans Saints are in the Superbowl. And that the colors are black and gold. And that the NFL does NOT own the rights to Who Dat? And that thousands of men wearing dresses paraded in honor of Buddy D, a sportscaster now deceased, who said he would parade wearing a dress if the Saints ever went to the Superbowl. And that the real party will be in New Orleans, not Miami. And that my classes Monday will be ill-attended no matter what. And that many schools are closed on Monday. And that Sunday night MASS is cancelled in New Orleans.

Well, I am not a sporty type. But still. It has been so fun to see all the handmade signs in yards on the way to school: Bless You Boys.

This is a place that loves to dress up. Being a dour and lugubrious Yankee, I have never participated in the usual Halloween scene, where all the teachers dress up as witches, monsters, and the like and bring candy to students. I usually forget to wear green on St. Patrick's Day. I suppose that the dignified teachers at Tulane and LSU wear their regular clothes on holidays, but I definitely show my outsider status at my more friendly school with my urban black.

Yesterday, I realized that I was the ONLY person at the grocery store not wearing black and gold. Even the babies had Saints tee shirts. So this morning, I decided to try to fit in. Black was easy. Gold...well, I didn't have anything. I was going to make a joke to my students, but cannot divulge it here without revealing my REAL identity.

Then I remembered last this week's trip to the Food Bank Thrift Store. I was donating bags of bags, which they use for their merchandise. I did peek in, and bought a Talbots wool jacket in a cornsilk yellow. Not my usual color, but it was so pretty. I decided that the color passes as GOLD. I am wearing it right now.

Now that I think of it, the official name of the thrift store is ALL SAINTS.
WHO DAT say dere's no thrift store karma?

5 comments:

Emma Fick said...

Your descriptions of the festivities left me feeling all fuzzy and emotional. Good for you for becoming part of the WHO DAT nation--and in a frugal way, too!

Duchesse said...

Sometime you just have to get into it, or come off like an old crab. Good for you! I'd love to see those dudes in dresses.

Over the Cubicle Wall said...

Buddy D was the best. I have been listening to WWL at night to try and share in the experience of the revelry. It's a hoot.

Cha Ching!

Shelley said...

Sounds like exciting times (and no, I didn't know about the Superbowl, but then I do live in England and I'm definitely non-sporty).

When you mentioned giving away your status as a Yankee in the way you dress, it reminded me of a work colleague I had in Salt Lake City. She was from Boston but had lived for years in Paris. She dressed much differently to the rest of us -- very European -- and whilst I didn't think I could get away with her look, I loved that she was different. I hope that others appreciate your differences.

But it's also good that you enjoyed joining in with the spirit of things. Well done you for finding a frugal way to do so.

Isn't life full of funny little coincidences?

Frugal Scholar said...

EEEE--I'm getting all fuzzy and emotional too.

@Duchesse--Just google saints fans in dresses and I'm sure you'll get to see them. I am so trying not to be a crab.

@Cubicle--Wish you were here!

@Shelley--I am trying to be more colorful. Strangely, today everyone is wearing all black or black and gold. So I've been fitting right in.