Custom Search

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

What to Cook When You Have 70 Papers to Grade: Chilaquiles

In other words, when you are superbusy. And annoyed because lots of students handed in work without stapling the pages or without putting their section numbers on it.

So here is my 15 minute meal. The one thing you have to do in advance is have some cooked beans; otherwise, use canned. No recipe necessary. At least, I've never used one. Looks ugly, tastes great.

Chilaquiles for Tex-Mex Lovers Only

Layer:
Rotel tomatoes or salsa
Corn chips (or corn tortillas toasted in the oven)
Beans spiced with whatever (we use a Cajun blend with black or pintos)
Grated cheese (cheddar, muenster,jack, whatever)

Do this as many times as you have room for and then top with sour cream. The original recipe called for baking, but I've discovered that you can heat in the microwave.

The original of this recipe was in the Greens Cookbook. It called for a spicy tomato sauce, spiced beans, frying corn tortillas, and a bunch of other stuff. I think the sauce was thickened with nuts. I was telling a friend that I wanted to make it, but that the recipe was too time-consuming. He said, "It's a convenience food. Use chips."

I never looked back.

I guess I have to return to my drudgery. Bon appetit.

5 comments:

Emma Fick said...

Chilaquiles = the best meal ever! Especially with a dash (or two)(or five) of hot sauce. Delicious AND easy!

Frugal Scholar said...

@Lucy==That goes without saying.

Shelley said...

Too funny. As I read, I started un-conveniencing the ingredients to heighten its frugality, which of course defeats the object. Sounds heavenly and I shall treat it as the convenience food it was intended to be.

Duchesse said...

I'd love this! We don't tend to think of tortilla chips as a main course ingredient in Canada :)

Frugal Scholar said...

@Shelley--See what I posted last night! This isn't all the convenience-ized. The chips are toasted tortillas; the tomato sauce is tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc.

@Duchesse-they're not chips as in Fritos (though some people do make a Frito pie); they're chips that are like toasted tortillas. The dish is really like a TexMex lasagne. I just made it again last night (we can't stop eating it) and it took all of 6 minutes to put together.