Custom Search

Friday, June 5, 2009

Thrift Store Gods Encore: Longchamp Le Pliage




As my devoted readers may recall, I have been intermittently on the prowl for a nice tote bag in which to carry my books and to-be-graded papers. Yes, I already have various canvas totes with logos of publishers. Yes, I already have an LL Bean tote with the logo of a detested architect (now stained with Robitussin; see earlier post for this tragic event). These were, needless to say, free. Should I be embarrassed that I crave something more, shall we say, iconic?

One perpetual candidate in the iconic department would be the Longchamp Le Pliage tote, ubiquitous on the streets of Paris. It is also becoming ubiquitous on American college campuses. I saw a few in Tuscaloosa, among the even more ubiquitous Vera Bradleys. I am sorry to report that the bag did not have the je ne sais quoi I associate with the iconic. Perhaps it's more iconic in Paris?

I wrote a post a while back on the Thrift Store Gods laughing at me. This is because whenever I even think about buying something new, I find almost the exact same thing in a thrift store. If I ever buy anything new, I find a better version in a thrift store within a few days. It seems to be my fate to be a thrift store shopper.

Yesterday, I stopped by a 3-day consignment sale in my town. This is a very cleverly set up production, which I will write about another time. Tons of stuff! Some very cheap, cheaper, in fact, than at my local Goodwill. I ended up not buying anything (I already HAVE black tops from Banana and Loft). I said to myself on leaving, "Not much point in going to thrift stores, since the prices here are lower and almost everything is nice."

Well, of course, I couldn't resist stopping at Goodwill a few hours later when I drove RIGHT BY while on another errand. There I found a Longchamp Le Pliage. I was sure it was fake, but after obsessively checking every detail, I'm quite sure it is real. But here's the thing: the Thrift Store Gods are laughing once more. They did NOT send me the tote. They sent me the little "S" bag in forest green.

What should I do with this? The EXACT same one is being offered on ebay and is now up to $20.50 with a few days to go. Should I sell it? Should I use it to see if it will acquire that je ne sais quoi?

As always, I await your thoughts on this dilemma, Dear Readers.

7 comments:

Duchesse said...

What's an "S" bag? Give it to someone who'd enjoy it. (Sounds too small to be a tote?)

Idee Fixe said...

Gosh I see so many Longchamp totes for very good prices in consignment shops where I am. The best thing about them is that they fold up into a little pouch so you can carry them even whilst shopping. I'd be happy to keep any eye out for you as I literally see them everytime I visit. I don't own one at present, but once I feel I'll need something like this you know that will be the go-to tote for me. Honestly, I'm a great frugal shopper who knows and appreciates quality (and hates to replace things time and time again, what a waste) and love to find good homes for things. Email me! I have no idea what an "S" tote is truth be told.

Frugal Scholar said...

@Duchesse--An "S" bag is little with short handles. No one I know (in real life, as opposed to blog life) would even know what this bag is.

@Idee--Wow! All the consignment stores in my area have gone out of business. And the ones in New Orleans are sooooo expensive. How much do the totes run in your area? They are very high on eBay (and maybe fake, too).

Idee Fixe said...

Hello again! Unfortunately I have brain mush (I think it turned to goo and slid out onto the floor sometime early this morning....) at the moment so I'm not recalling the prices. But I can tell you that this particular consignment shop's prices are quite reasonable compared to many others in the area. Its a tiny shop, jammed with designer goods at great prices. For example I purchased some Manolo Blahnik pony fur booties for under $100 -- a year later of solid use, they still look amazing. To me, that's a bargain. I'm sick of buying cheap shoes that fall apart before a season is out its a waste of cheap materials and even cheaper labour practices I don't agree with. I wouldn't bother with eBay, unless you know the seller too many fakes abound. Here is a link to my local shop: http://www.dejavu-consignment.com/ I might be heading there this week, so I can get a better idea on pricing for you.
Cheers!
Suzanne

Idee Fixe said...

I just had a quick perusal of Neiman's and it seems the large tote retails for around $145, so I'm sure I saw them for around $80 or so.

Frugal Scholar said...

@Idee--Merci! I think I will wait till Fall and then give them a call. You're so lucky to have such a great place nearby.

Idee Fixe said...

Living in Westchester County is one of the most expensive areas in the US, but it does have its perks in the form of great consignment shops! I bet you can even find one on sale at Neiman's or Bloomie's when they have their super duper sales too. Keep looking, I know you'll find exactly what you want! I'll even email you if I find a super deal!
Cheers!
Suzanne