Custom Search

Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Egg and I: For College Cooks and Others

I am going to start posting my College Cooking posts here too. Not to name any names, but CERTAIN PEOPLE WHO WERE SUPPOSED TO HELP ME HAVE NOT DONE SO.

EGGS just seem to be in the air these days. On the College Cooking front, I have this report. Always on the lookout for stove-free cooking options, I discovered this little item.

Really, this is silly. However, I spotted one at Goodwill for 99 cents, so I bought it. It's definitely worth 99 cents. I put some of the beaten egg for the pasta frittata in each side, cooked for a minute, added some cooked pasta and cheese, and finished it up. Then I folded it closed: tada! a very pretty fake omelet.

I think this would actually be good for microwave-only cooks: there is little clean up, really; it produces an attractive item (so important for solo eaters); it can accommodate all kinds of leftovers, and so on. Next time I use it, I'm going to try beating the eggs IN the contraption, for even less clean up.

Further on the egg front. I unearthed a cookbook I've never used.

Here is a knock-off of one of their recipes. I have probably already revealed my insane love of mashed potatoes, so it should come as no surprise that this one is on my to-do list.

Ingredients

* 3 cups mashed potatoes, heated through
* 4 eggs
* Coarse salt and cracked black pepper
* 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, chives, oregano, or thyme

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Divide the mashed potatoes into four individual baking dishes. Make a deep well in the center of the mashed potatoes. Crack an egg directly into each well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese over each egg. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until eggs are done to your likeness.

Remove from oven, garnish with fresh herbs. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Very subtle nagging, FS ;)

I wish I could try this recipe but I've realized that I've developed an allergy to eggs. I can only have 2 a week if that...

Duchesse said...

Oh, that recipe is gonna be gooood! Imagine with a few lardons or bacon bits folded into the potatoes.

Great light supper or brunch dish.

Frugal Scholar said...

@FB--I actually don't eat eggs very much. Just now and then I get a hankering. I'll focus on something else for you.

@Duchesse--I can't wait to try it. My son bought some good bacon and I may try the dish when he delivers it.