Custom Search

Thursday, October 10, 2013

I Love Alice Munro

Alice Munro won the Nobel Prize for Literature! You can read about her in lots of places. You can--as of this writing--get some of her books from paperbackswap.com. You can--again, this may change--get her books used for supercheap on Amazon (as of this writing, the book pictured below can be had for a mere penny plus shipping). Or frugal fans: go to the library.

Here's what I love about Alice Munro, whom I discovered in a borrowed New Yorker as a college freshman: she is a wonderful, wonderful writer, but not at all difficult to read. And because she writes short stories, anyone can find a bit of time to read her.

I am someone who reads the Brothers Karamazov for fun. I even wrote about it. But it is a huge time investment, not to mention an emotional one. Same for another group of favorites: the late novels of Henry James.

I often say that the hardest type of literature to find is something that is good--very good, excellent--but not too intellectually or emotionally draining. I loved the title story in this collection. I read somewhere that a movie is in the works.

5 comments:

tess said...

wonderful to get new book recommendations,

my technique for getting to read in small increments is reading graphic novels, so many to choose from now, even literature like Moby Dick, A Wrinkle in Time, Kafka's works, also reading many of the books my middle schoolers like, funnily my son crosses out the swear words in the Walking Dead series, I fill them back in (in my mind) as I read the ones he's finished

of course you can chip away at anything, I've read Kristin Lavransdatter weeping on the bus, in bed, took a winter, well worth it

Madame Là-bas said...

I enjoy Alice Munro's short stories. They depict everyday life with all of its twists and turns. Lives of Women and Girls was my first Alice Munro book and I still have my paperback copy in my book boxes.

SewingLibrarian said...

I just ordered two collections for the library, anticipating demand, but not this one. Perhaps I should add it??

Duchesse said...

Alice Munro is our era's Chekov, and my favourite writer for longevity. Her stories are quiet gems, the way she handles time is remarkable.

Surprised how few Americans know her' in Canada she is our foremost literary figure. Her Nobel should change that.

I do find her work emotionally affecting, but subtle; the depth charges implode long after you have read a story. I have read everything she has written, and since she has retired, will now be re-reading.

Frugal Scholar said...

@tess--Thanks for YOUR recommendations! Moby Dick is on my re-read list. Did not appreciate the first time.

@MmeL-b--We should all re-read our books. I am going to search for mine, which are scattered.

@Sewinglib--They are all good.

@Duchesse--A beautiful--and accurate--characterization of AM's writing. I 've read all of AM too--I should probably read more Chekhov.