Custom Search

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Holiday Freebies and Invitations: I'm So Popular

It all started last week when I went to Banana Republic to use my about-to-expire $10.00 gift card.

There, I was invited to a special holiday sale on November 5, featuring live music, catered food, and 30% off. Should I go? It might be worth it if we could get dinner out of it.

Then, in my email box, I received an invitation to Talbots this week. No mention of food or entertainment, just 20% off. It is unlikely that I will go just for a little discount.

A postcard arrived announcing that Fresh Market (kind of like Whole Foods, only smaller) is having their holiday tasting, which amounts to a whole meal. This Friday and Saturday.

Also this Saturday, my local grocery--Rouses--is having a Thanksgiving tasting.

I only avail myself of these opportunities if I can accomplish another errand or two en route.

I have never recovered from graduate student poverty. Free food opportunities are nirvana to the impoverished student. Somehow, even after more than 25 years post-school, my antennae are still on constant alert.

Basking in my new-found popularity....

5 comments:

Duchesse said...

What is it about receiving a free meal (out of something offered as a tasting or canapes, not as a meal) that has resonance for you *today*, Frugal? I'm trying to understand it.

Over the Cubicle Wall said...

A free meal is always worthwhile to me. A free frisbee, or pencil, or coffee mug I would pass over. No use/already have enough of that stuff. It might have something to do with the grad school days too.

Emma Fick said...

I, too, understand the allure of free food. It's those 30% and 20% off coupons that are really dangerous, though. They coax you into buying stuff you don't love, and if you don't use them, you're left feeling like you LOST money somehow.

Frugal Scholar said...

@Duchesse--Yes, I am pathologically frugal. I have never gotten over the panicked years of graduate school. I still have dreams about it....Completely irrational, I know.

@Cubicle--A soulmate! And it's true, I hate free STUFF as a rule too.

@EEE--Yeah, the merchants usually win. I am agonizing over a 50% off coupon I got from Chico's--because I never buy anything there.

Duchesse said...

Frugal: I'd be happy to accept a meal. I'd feel uncomfortable with 'making a meal' out of what is offered as a tasting or hors d'oeuvres.

Your comment reminds me of an executive I noticed at a business lunch who was wrapping sandwiches and stuffing them into his jacket pockets. His assistant said, "We are SO embarrassed when he does this. he grew up without enough to eat and he just can't seem to shake it."