Custom Search

Monday, April 23, 2012

Excavations at the Thrift Store: Inside the Suitcase

It is probably no surprise that I find consumption habits fascinating. Perhaps this is because my father was in market research. Perhaps this is because one of the few books in my house when I was growing up (I was the only reader in the family) was a cheap paperback of The Status Seekers, a huge best seller in the 50s. I suppose I am a bit of a statys seeker myself, as I seek nice things at thrift shops! Anyway, I made a hefty donation today and, of course, had to take a peek inside the store. I thought the thrift store gods had rewarded me for the donation by giving me a somewhat beat up Mulberry bag. Alas, I'm pretty sure it is fake, but still nice for $3.00. I also bought a big suitcase by Hartman. Why, I do not know. Inside, I found the real treasures: the detritus of the suitcase donor. And perhaps I found the answer to the mystery: why would someone donate an almost new suitcase to Goodwill? Inside one of the pockets, I discovered the tag and spare button for a pair of Bussy pants by Chameau. And a Wesport chemise by the same maker. Then there is the fancy tag for a tie by Beretta. And a tag for something by Barbour--maybe a jacket? So...who is this outdoorsy, probably wealthy person, who brought back all these items from the eurozone? Checking a big bag like the Hartman costs a pretty penny also. Did this person buy all the stuff in Europe and then need to buy a big bag to bring it home? Did he then donate the bag because he already had too many suitcases? What do you think? Do you like thrift store mysteries and excavations?

5 comments:

Duchesse said...

"I also bought a big suitcase by Hartman. Why, I do not know."

Frugal's Zen koan!

Kare said...

I love thrifting. Our Goodwill does not have great clothes. I think you need to live in a larger town. Over the years, I have found some good stuff at secondhand stores. I find auctions and estate sales to be better for household items. I do love to shop at all of them. My best buy was 13 pieces of All-clad for $300.00 and a Henredon sofa for $200.00. I am still excited about my pots and pans. Youngest daughter is trying to sneak them to her house, so I have to be on guard. Love your blog.

Anonymous said...

thrift stores DO appeal to the writer in me. I often try to imagine the lives of the characters who wore certain items.

Shelley said...

This makes me think you might enjoy what Toad found in a library book...

http://to-the-manner-born.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/eavesdropper.html

Frugal Scholar said...

@Duchesse--How well you know me!
@Kare--I'd trade all the stuff I find for a set of All-Clad and I NEED a new sofa.

@Terri--Alas, I am not a writer like you.

@Shelley--Loved it. Thanks.