Custom Search

Monday, April 9, 2012

Potato Love

I just made a confession to Mr FS. I was cooking dinner: that wonderful vegetable hash you can find in Deborah Madison's The Savory Way. It consists of potatoes, greens, and tomatoes. My version also included a few slices of rendered bacon. This is a clean out the fridge recipe: I used up the remains of a bag of potatoes, 1/2 large can of Big Lots-sourced Muir Glen tomatoes, and greens from the garden. The bacon was brought home by Frugal Son, who rescued it from being thrown out by a friend who was moving.

I was cooking; Mr FS was gardening. When the concoction was done, I tasted it. Within a few minutes, I had eaten half. You cannot leave me alone in a room with a potato dish.

I confessed. Mr FS pointed out that a spouse who couldn't control herself around potatoes was a pretty inexpensive spouse to have around.

Luckily, there is enough for Mr FS and I am too full to eat his share. I have been known to do that.

What's your can't control yourself dish?


1 pound mixed greens -- approximately
salt
2 medium-sized potatoes -- scrubbed,
quartered and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
1 small dried red chilies -- (1 to 2)
seeds removed and torn into pieces
OR 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 medium sized fresh or canned tomatoes -- chopped
2 garlic cloves -- minced
freshly ground pepper
freshly grated or sliced hard cheese such
as Parmesan or Asiago or Romano
extra virgin olive oil -- to finish the dish

Madison provides very detailed instructions, which I don't follow. I chop the potatoes and boil them for a while. I add the washed and chopped greens to the pot with the potatoes. I try to use very little water.

When they seem about done, I dump them into a pan in which I have sauteed either garlic and red pepper flakes OR bacon and the preceding. Mash them up and add some canned tomatoes.

I see that as usual I forgot to sprinkle with olive oil or add cheese. Oh well. Too late.

7 comments:

Duchesse said...

The combo of potatoes, butter and bacon is an irresistible combination around here. The addition of the greens and tomatoes makes the dish almost lean cuisine :)

I too cannot resist my spuds and refuse to own a deep fryer for that reason,

Frugal Scholar said...

@Duchesse--Good thing we're not roommates. We'd be fighting over the potatoes.

SewingLibrarian said...

Potatoes I can take or leave. But don't put me in a room with homemade fudge.

Anonymous said...

I often joke when the subject of identity comes up in class that I am a descendent of Irish and German forebears, i.e., potato eaters! I too have a weakness for potato in all forms: fried, mashed, in soup...

Frugal Scholar said...

@terri--Maybe you, Duchess, and I should have a party.

Frugal Scholar said...

@SL--My mother-in-law used to hide her See's candy under her bed so she wouldn't have to share.

Shelley said...

Like Terri, I also come from Irish and German stock, and dearly love potatoes in all forms. Cheese and crackers disappear from our cupboards in no time as well, so Bill has to buy oat crackers and cheese with onions in it - the kinds I don't like.