Custom Search

Sunday, January 18, 2009

All the little things add up: A Frugal Maxim

Mr Dr Frugal Scholar said I should post today's shopping. OK.

I went to Walgreens and bought 8 jars of peanut butter for $1.99 each. With the purchase of 8 came a $10.00 Register Reward, which I will use to buy milk and other necessities.

***Note jars of peanut butter have not been implicated in the recent salmonella outbreak. I will return them if they are!

Then, I bought 6 packs of chocolate covered macademia nuts, for my dear children. These are regularly $3.80 EACH, but were on sale for $2.00. These was an in-store coupon for $3.00 off 2.

SO: about $16.00 for peanut butter and $3.00 for candy, with a $10.00 coupon for my next trip.

The MORAL is: it's not WHAT you purchase but WHEN and HOW you purchase.

Also on-deck for the weekend is a monthly free concert at a church. This month the performers are the Loyola Faculty Brass Quintet. The concert is followed by a wine and cheese (and more!) reception. Check for similar opportunities in your area.

The bonus for us is that the church is a short walk from our house. And it's a beautiful day!

Are you having a frugal weekend, ear readers? If so, share . . .

5 comments:

Chance said...

Sounds like a great frugal day -- how was the concert?

Frugal Scholar said...

@Chance--The concert was wonderful, thank you. It was ill-attended, because of a "play-off." (Mr DFS and I are not sports-followers, so we don't know what was going on.) Because it was ill-attended, there was plenty of food at the reception, so we got a free dinner of tomato-basil soup,cheese and crackers, and home-made rum cake. I ran into a former student, who took my course TWICE, because he failed the first time. He gave me a big hug and introduced me to his mom.

Chance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chance said...

@frugal scholar Egregious typo so had to delete previous comment. what I meant to say was: I love it when the students forgive you for a failing grade. Big flag that you are a great teacher. Sounds like a good dinner was had by all.

Frugal Scholar said...

@Chance--I sympathize since I can hardly type and make egregious typos every day (and am too lazy to correct). At least you got to use the word egregious...