Custom Search

Monday, January 25, 2010

Scary Nightmare: A Glimpse into the Psyche of the Pathologically Frugal

I will resume my kitchen "series" (!!!) later. Now, for something different, I will recount my nightmare. A bonafide frugal dream. A glimpse into pathology.

Mr. FS and I were going to graduate school. (In real life, we met in college and re-met in grad school.) I had decided to go to U of Illinois (fictional), a public institution where I had a tuition waiver. Mr. FS had decided to go the U of Chicago,a private institution, with a half tuition waiver (also fictional; we went to a different school).

Frugal Scholar shrieking in dream: "But the tuition at Chicago is almost $50,000/year! You will have to take out loans for $25,000/year! For at least 4 years!"

Mr. FS: "I didn't realize that." (looks downcast)

FS: "We can both go to Illinois!"

Mr. FS: "I forgot to apply!"

FS: "I just want to be middle-class!"

Then, readers, I awoke.

5 comments:

Duchesse said...

Was being middle class a real life aspiration or one of those dream-thoughts?

Over the Cubicle Wall said...

How funny. What did you have for dinner?

Shelley said...

Too funny! Being middle-class in England is just about one of life's worst fates; these days it's cool to be working class.

I dreamed two nights ago about Mom and Dad and I moving (from Oklahoma City) to Salt Lake City (only the location was remarkably like where I live now). I was unpacking bags and sacks and asking myself why I paid to ship junk and trying to find enough cabinets to store everything... I've started de-cluttering in a serious way since that dream!

Funny about Money said...

Gosh. I used to dream about going into the classroom in various states of deshabille or unpreparation, but never had the pleasure of dreaming about graduate school.

Frugal Scholar said...

@Duchesse--It was the very end of the dream. I woke in a panic.

@Cubicle--Roasted cabbage soup from the newish Anna Thomas cookbook. It wasn't as good as I thought it wuld be--but the cabbage was great.

@Shelley--I have clutter dreams too.

@Funny--I have those dreams too.