Custom Search

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Gift from singlemomrichmom: Early Retirement Extreme

Waiting on my doorstep: a package from Canada. Hmmmmm. Yes! A book sent to me by the great blogger singlemomrichmom: her copy of the fascinating tome by the very interesting Jacob, of earlyretirementextreme.

I'm thrilled to have the book. Jacob brings the brains of a physicist to questions about how we might want to live. For a taste of his way of thinking: he has a post titled not How much do you need to retire, but How little do you need to retire?

I'm probably too old to retire very early, plus I like my job. Still, it's inspiring to see what one can do.

So thanks to Jacqjolie for her generosity. Check out her blog: it's a great read.

5 comments:

Duchesse said...

Yes! That is indeed 'the question'! Retirement does not assume people do not like their jobs anymore. They might not want to work full time, or realize the time to pursue other interests and activities is limited. I predict that semi or lightly-retired will become the norm.

Awaiting your comments on the book!

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I think I might like to read this book...
as one who is contemplating retirement I need all the tools that are available.

Frugal Scholar said...

@Duchesse--I wish I could semi-retire...
@hostess--Be aware--this book really does present an extreme view. For me, the questions he poses are useful. This book is very like the famous "Your Money or Your Life."

Shelley said...

Yes, I would ditto the 'extreme' bit. Bill says I'm 'brutal' with myself about money, but even I think he's a bit extreme. Still, I'm in favour of considering all the options...

Frugal Scholar said...

@Shelley-I feel that I'm pretty extreme, but I am quite profligate compared to the author of ERE.