Custom Search

Sunday, September 18, 2011

What's In Your Pantry? A Meal in Two Minutes or Less

Miss Em called this morning. She observed that few of her friends have anything to eat in their off-campus apartments and so must go out--to grocery store or to restaurant--when they are hungry. She was surprised by this.

I replied that her own grandma has a kitchen with few groceries, necessitating a trip to the store for every meal. Ditto for the other side of the family.

The thing about shopping for each meal--or going out--is that after that meal you are back at square one. This lack of a system is wasteful of both time and money.

So, for the one area of domesticity in which I have skills, let me--yet once more--sing the praises of the pantry. Miss Em has a little pantry in her dorm: oatmeal, boxed soy milk, coffee, tuna, peanut butter, canned beans, canned tomatoes, rice, and a few other things.

My pantry has all that and more. My two-minute emergency meal is a bean and cheese burrito. If that's too much work, I always have at least one can of New England clam chowder, a convenience food I find acceptable.

I get hungry with amazing frequency--and hunger is swiftly followed by dizziness. I suppose my best frugal habit has its origin in my metabolism.


Do you have a Two-Minute Meal?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, a salad ;)

Gracie's Mom said...

poached eggs on toast.

SewingLibrarian said...

A slice of cheese on a piece of toast.

Duchesse said...

"The thing about shopping for each meal--or going out--is that after that meal you are back at square one. This lack of a system is wasteful of both time and money."

I'm puzzled that you equate shopping for each meal and "going out". We often shop for each day's groceries, since we live 5 min. from a huge farmer's market. I don't view it as a waste of time, it's a pleasure, and reinforces the bond between grower and consumer. We walk there and back. (This is also common in Europe.)

Anyway: a box of pasta, olive oil, garlic, pancetta. Add chopped parsley or green onions, diced tomato or olives if you have it.

Frugal Scholar said...

@Marcela--For some reason, I find salads very time-consuming.
@Graciesmom-Also fried eggs--more within my skills!
2sewing-yum
@Duchesse--I'm speaking more of the American situation. Lucky you to be in Montreal.

Shelley said...

The other thing about frequent trips to a supermarket is that each trip represents an exposure to impulse buying temptation. And most people simply don't have the time to do daily shopping. I could if I wanted, but there are other things I'd rather do with my time. In Europe, granted, shopping daily is in part how one interacts with the community, but as you say, the situation is much different than in the US - or even here in the UK.

Anonymous said...

Beans on toast!

Frugal Scholar said...

@Tabitha--Thanks for stopping by--You know, I've never had beans on toast English-style. Must try it.