Custom Search

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Cheap, Easy,Good: Italian Sausage Soup

I love having financial goals (beside the ever-present retirement), so I have been flexing my frugal muscles in order to squirrel aside some cash IN CASE FRUGAL SON finds a HOUSE. Also, grading season is upon me, so time is shorter than usual.

As always, I act on the belief that keeping food costs down is key to frugality, at least my frugality. From a wonderful cookbook.

Italian Sausage Soup

1. Cook 1 lb sausage--either take out of casings or use bulk. Remove as much fat as you want.

2. Remove meat from pan and saute 4 chopped celery stalks, 1 chopped onion, and some garlic in the fat.

3. Add 4 cups water and the sausage. Cook for a while.

4. Put some crusty bread in each bowl and top with some parmesan.

The writer suggests some add-ins. I added in chopped carrots, a can of drained chickpeas, and some greens from my garden. Spinach--even frozen--would be good also.

The neat trick with the soup is that the sausage essentially creates its own stock. I LOVE this cookbook!





3 comments:

Shelley said...

I have a terrible time trying to make soup from a cookbook - I seem to just want to wing it and see what happens.

Duchesse said...

Oh this is going to be delicious! We have sausage quite often for dinner, because we live right next to a number of places that make their own, from the classics to bison, boar and rabbit. Thanks for the recipe!

Frugal Scholar said...

@Shelley--Some cookbook writers are so good--I generally start with a recipe.

@Duchesse--Hope you liked it. Ours was delicious.