Custom Search

Thursday, June 16, 2011

City Kitchen: A New NYT Column

It doesn't take much to make me happy. The latest happiness-inducer was a glance at City Kitchen, a column in the New York Times.

This is written for people with city kitchens: no space, no equipment, the usual limitations. In other words, real kitchens. Well, you see why I would like this: it sounds like the College Cooking close to my heart: no space, no equipment, and so on.

In fact, the plight of the College Cook is more difficult, since the City Cook at least has a few burners. I'm hoping to get some more ideas for my dear college Cooking daughter--and for my neglected blog: College Cooking Crash Course.

I guess the San Francisco Foodie establishment will miss the columnist: here is what they have to say about his first column.

It certainly walks the line between aspirational and instructional with steps like: "First, make thin ribbons of raw asparagus, fennel and radish. Then make a lemony, anchovy-inflected vinaigrette." Which prompts the question, are the bustling cities of the world ready to break out the "anchovy-inflected vinaigrette" en masse? Only time will tell.

INFLECTED. That word is--or was--overused in literary criticism for a while; I see it has migrated to food writing. Aside from the pompous word, I am so thrilled! The first column is on the humble bean.

Do you like the column, dear readers?

2 comments:

Duchesse said...

Sure do; any food writing that says to make a vinaigrette (without cndescendingly telling me to use good olive oil) has me, inflected or not.

Frugal Scholar said...

@Duchesse-Good point. I watched that word seep through the lit crit biz--so pretentious.