Custom Search

Friday, June 17, 2011

Packing List

For a 3-week trip to Nantes, followed by a week in Massachusetts, a sort of poorgirl version of what the stylish Deja Pseu took to Europe.

Toppers: 1 grey large shrug sweater (wool-blend), light grey gauzy topper (Eileen-Fisher-esque, I hope), Babette bronze long top

Tops: charcoal boxy long tee, 2 black tops, 1 beige linen big shirt

Tanks:long black microfiber, regular microfiber (purple?)

Pants: black ponte leggings, dark denim capri leggings, black "tech" pants, black yoga pants (double as pjs)

2 scarves, dusty rose and eggplant

Some ugly, but comfortable* shoes (my problem area): leather tevas, black sport mary janes, croc(!) ballet flats, SAS (!) sandals

*I have to bring a lot of shoes because everything hurts eventually. These are comfortable for the longest time. Rejected shoes included such well-known comfort brands as Mephisto and Wolky, which are not comfortable for me.

As I scan this list, I see that pretty much everything is thrifted** EXCEPT for leggings and tanks from Chico's. I HATE Chico's. However, if you get plain things--ponte pants, microfiber tanks--and use these tempting $25 off $50 coupons they send now and again, you can look ok and spend very little.

**Yes, even shoes. You would NOT believe how many unworn shoes I find. That includes the Mephisto and the Wolky. And the SAS. And--thank heavens-the crocs, which are ok in the rain.

Not too much???? Do you see anything that can be eliminated?

Mr FS and I are negotiating our reading material. So far, we have agreed on Thoreau's Walden and Emerson's Essays.

6 comments:

Susan B said...

That looks like a very succinct and well pared-down list to me. Everything is washable yes? You'll do fine!

Frugal Scholar said...

@DP-Thanks--I've learned so much from you. AND I just re-read your packing posts and remembered that I bought packing cubes. So I dug them out and will use them.

Duchesse said...

Greys, blacks, charcoal and dark denim are the colours that keep recurring here: it is summer,not far from the sea. Either buy two white or cream tees now or pick up some plus a mariniere when you get there to spark all that dark. How about packing white jeans? The scarves are not sounding summery either and again it will be fun to pick one up from a market stall.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this list makes me cross my fingers that we'll get to see a photo of two of the sights...or of you.

hostess of the humble bungalow said...

Sounds like a great basic wardrobe to me...
Duchesse sounds like she has some great ideas...apparently white jeans are all the rage.

I hope that you have a fabulous holiday!

I remember how Chico's had annoyed you with their service.
Did I mention that they scared my 84 year old mother with their intense greetings and pressured sales? She'll never set foot in their store again!

Frugal Scholar said...

@Duchesse-Temps are coolish, for one thing. I did add a white linen tunic. I do tend to dress like Hamlet. White jeans--too care-intensive for travel. I spilled an entire cup of coffee on the white linen just the other day.

@Terri--I am kinda shy about the photos. But this trip involves getting out of my comfort zone in some ways, so maybe I'll be bold.

@hostess--Yeah-hate them, but I only order throu the website--also when they have free shipping. Since I buy very plain items and know my size, i don't have to return.