Custom Search

Friday, June 3, 2011

Frugal Florence with Faith Willinger

I've only been to Italy once, but I am in love with the ethos of Italian cooking. It seems to me that there is an inherent frugality in Italian recipes. Miss Em is exploring the markets and shops of Florence and she's lucky enough to be residing in an apartment with a kitchen.

I just sent her a link to the website of the wonderful Faith Willinger, an American who is married to an Italian and has lived in Florence for many years. Here is her recipe for Aqua Cotta--or cooked water. Check out her website. Just some water, chard, eggs, bread...and a few other things.

I have this cookbook, which is a trove of the simplest recipes imaginable.

What would you cook in a kitchen in Florence?

3 comments:

Duchesse said...

I'd roast a chicken, usually our first meal "in" when renting an apt. in Europe. You can tell a lot about a culture from the size, type and taste of their chickens.

It's hard to get wrong, you can eat it in the apt. or take it on a picnic, and then make chicken soup with the carcass, to deal with the cold I inevitably get from a plane.

Frugal Scholar said...

@Duchesse--We had a kitchen when we were last in Paris, but it had no oven! I'll have to ask my daughter if she has one.

Duchesse said...

Then, I'd simmer it- a fricassee or stew.